When I was little, and I’m talking Micro-Machines, Thundercats, Roger Rabbit underwear little, my cousin and I used to bicker over sharing toys. David always brought more toys with him to sleepovers at our grandparent’s house. Just to make the situation worse, he was also totally resistance to the concept of sharing. Dave always made sure that he had the shiniest army men. I was always stuck with a motley crew of headless Lego people.
How good are you at sharing today? I bet you split your last two pieces of Orbit with someone you love, just to be nice. But I’m not talking about material possessions. The kind of sharing that I am more interested in today is surprisingly intangible. In fact, you’re looking right at it.
Nearly every site you go to nowadays, every blog, tweet, video, vlog and music clip comes equipped with sharing options. This means that you are almost always able to effortlessly email, tweet, post, like and dislike content in order to spread awareness to your online network of buddies. The problem is, we are often apathetic when it comes to sharing and approving online content. Why? Well, there are, I’m sure, a multitude of reasons. But, for anyone who decides to create a social site where viewers have the option to share information, this fan apathy can be crushing. There is hope though.
Consider these tips the next time you find yourself scratching your head over a lack of engagement by your page or blog followers:
– How open is your content to response? Try asking questions to get answers.
– Overly opinionated posts may turn off viewers from sharing their point of view.
– Make sharing options easy with strategically placed links.
– Content that is interesting/intriguing/humorous/etc. will always be your best bet for promoting conversation.
– Some people are passive browsers. Nothing will ever change that. It also doesn’t necessarily mean that they aren’t reading and enjoying what you are posting.
So, the big question: What motivates you to share information? Do you see yourself as a “sharer,” a “starer” or something in between? Please post your comment below. Thank you for you patronage. Your comment donation will go towards giving little Jason a new pair of shoes, clean drinking water and a year of education that he could never get without your love and support.