Internships are a great way to gain experience within the field of your choice, develop occupational and personal skills and make lasting connections. I thought I would share a few of the things that I learned while being an Intern. Tips, tricks and tactics for success.
1. Proofread EVERYTHING…… Especially in the advertising/media industry. Things move fast and pressure to get things out can make you feel rushed but always cross your T’s and dot your I’s. Read everything 3 times; have someone else read it. But remember that everyone makes mistakes.
2. Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to eat it……..The office where my internship is located has a snack bar. It is always fully stocked. We also have a freezer full of ice cream. That is all I’m going to say about that.
3. Bring a sweater, blanket, shawl, space heater or SOMETHING…….. Offices can get cold. If your office is generous with the AC, start leaving a sweater at your desk.
4. Verify everything…… Not sure about something? Ask.
5. But know when it’s best to just figure it out yourself…….. People are busy. If it’s something important/out of your knowledge, wait and ask. If not, see if you can do it on your own first.
6. Personalize your space……. To make yourself more comfortable and make those around you more comfortable. My space is filled with flowers and pictures of Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson in Temple sweaters. Obviously. Home is where the Cosby is.
7. Create a system…… If there are multiple tasks to be done and your desk is swamped with papers at all times, try to find a way to use the space and organize. Organized chaos=my specialty.
8. Technology is great but paper still reigns supreme……. Technology can be unreliable. Sometimes printers don’t work. Sometimes computers break down. Always have a hard copy.
9. Take notes……. Literal ones. Not mental notes. It makes it easier to keep track of tasks, the order of events and importance. Also makes this much easier when you have to put in time and remember everything you did during the day/week.
10. Enjoy yourself…….. Eventually you will be old and jaded. Smile more. Be friendly. Take joy in your job and soak in the experiences.
Weber Shandwick Worldwide via Baltimore