The Beginning of my Adventure
Hello! My name is Eryn Foust and I am going in to my senior year as an Advertising major with a track in Account Management. This summer, I have been granted the opportunity to serve as an intern with Susan Graham Consulting located in Hershey, PA. Susan Graham Consulting (SGC) is a consulting firm that specializes in IT. In other words, SGC recruits those seeking jobs in the IT field and places them with clients that are best fit for that specific person. While recruiting is not something I have any experience in whatsoever, SGC was in need of an intern to help fill the spot of a former recruiter who decided to take the summer off with her kids. That’s where I come in. From the minute I interviewed, I knew this position was exactly what I wanted. Not only is my boss the most kind, sincere, fabulous person (and recognized as one of Central PA’s top 25 women of influence might I add) but the work environment is just as perfect, very laid back and comfortable. Susan and I are many times the only two working in the office because the other recruiters work from home which is beneficial to me because I am able to learn directly from Susan (the owner) while we work on different projects.
My job duties throughout the next three months include:
- Responsible for assisting with all areas of technical and professional recruiting including sourcing, selecting and evaluating candidates for assigned position.
- Filter through resumes using online resources (including Monster.com and LinkedIn) to find ideal candidates for our clientele based on job descriptions provided to us by our clients.
- Reach out to potential candidates to gauge interest in job opportunities.
- Follow up with assigned recruiter by forwarding active candidates
- Attend weekly meetings for client and industry updates.
- Responsible for ongoing database management.
- Help plan 2nd annual Ronald McDonald Cupcake Challenge fundraiser
- Serve as the Social Media liaison between SGC and potential applicants by means of Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, etc.
SGC is very active within the community and my boss, Susan, told me she needed someone to handle the advertising/marketing portion of her business. I have been covering that spectrum of her business since the first day I started. From posting open positions on websites such as twitter, Facebook, monster, and linkedin to sorting through resumes to find the best IT talent out there to then send over to our clients there has never been a dull day. My favorite part of my internship thus far is the upcoming event we are holding at the Ronald McDonald House in Hershey called the Cupcake Challenge. This is an event to help raise money for the RMH and get local businesses involved in charity work around Hershey, PA. I am in charge of running this event and could not be any more excited about it. It is a great way to network with people throughout the community that work in different businesses to try and get them to participate in the Cupcake Challenge. I’ve learned just how important networking is in this business— and any business for that matter through this internship. My first month at Susan Graham Consulting has been a very successful one and I am looking forward to what the next two months will hold.